Tree Pose

Tree Pose
Find your Roots and Grounding

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Yoga VS Pilates

I am often asked what is the difference between yoga and Pilates. As a yoga teacher I can share my experience as a yoga teacher. As for Pilates I have participated in Pilates classes and can only lend my opinion of the differences based on that experience.  Yoga is a total mind body experience. A complete practice of yoga involves meditation and focus, breathing, poses and relaxation. Yoga and the philosophy of yoga for many becomes a "lifestyle" Yoga philosophy has been around for thousands of years while Pilates has been around for less then a 100 years.
My experience in a Pilates mat class was one of exacting poses that are executed with concentration, control and precision. There was "breathing" involved in the exercises but the "practice of breathing" as in yoga was not taught. In yoga there are many different types of breathing depending on the needed benefit.
Both Pilates and yoga offer poses that help with strength, flexibility and core stability. It is then up to the participant to decide which modality "speaks" to them.  If you have not tried either I would suggest looking up certified instructors for yoga and Pilates, trying both to see which form suits you best.

1 comment:

  1. Yes Nancy, need trying both (pilates and yoga) like me, I like pilates but I love YOGA and of course you are the best in this, I love your classes of Ying Yan and Yoga thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete