Tree Pose

Tree Pose
Find your Roots and Grounding

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Therapeutic Yoga Can be for You


Therapeutic yoga can be accessed by anyone at anytime. Therapeutic yoga unlike a regular yoga practice allows the practitioner to zero in on exactly the poses, breathing, relaxation or meditation practice that works with their particular health issue. That being said there is no one practice for all. It is totally individual and will be discovered by the individual as they learn the particular practice that works for them or if they decide to seek out an experienced yoga teacher or yoga therapist to guide them to a fulfilling and effective practice. For example purposes I will present some scenarios. A client comes to me saying they have ‘sciatica”. First and for most a yoga teacher does not diagnose, I will ask the client if they have seen a doctor or self diagnosed. After she shows me where it hurts and tells me the particulars I will work with her to find some poses that will help her relieve the pain she is feeling. I will also recommend as we keep working together other modalities such as massage, chiropractor, acupuncture or allopathic doctor. Together as a team she will find a place that will help relieve, reduce or even eliminate the pain she has been experiencing. Another popular health issue I hear a lot is I have high blood pressure, I am either on medication and its not helping to lower it or I don’t want to get on medication. We will briefly review health and eating habits, I will make recommendations. One of the practices that really seem to help individuals with high or uncontrolled blood pressure is breathing and or meditation. I will teach her proper breathing techniques that work for her and give her a few options for meditation. We will “practice” these together over time and help her integrate them into her daily life.  As I work privately with an individual the practice will evolve over time. She will check in with me and we will update, add, and tweak the practices for her needs.
There are as many practices out there for health issues as individuals. Seek out an experienced teacher to guide you with whatever health issue you may be dealing with, it will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment